Saturday, May 7, 2011

5k!

Today, I ran my first 5k.  I succeeded in all three of my main goals:
1. I finished it.
2. I ran the whole way; no stopping/resting/walking.
3. I had the cutest cheering section at the race!
It was actually way more fun than I thought it would be! It was a great atmosphere -- very positive with lots of cheering for all accomplishments.  The event was for women and girls only, and there was the 5k I ran as well as a 10k, a half-marathon, an 18-mile race, and a 1.5 mile kids' run.  There was actually a good-sized group of young girls running the 5k as well, which I thought was really cool. The race was alongside a lake in a park in the East Bay, and it was nice to run outside, which I haven't gotten the chance to do in my training -- definitely makes the time pass by more quickly to have something pretty to look at! It was harder to keep track of my pace, though, without the treadmill to set the pace for me.  I have no idea what my time actually was -- I couldn't see the clock as I was finishing, but Patrick says I finished "fast" so hopefully I managed to keep a reasonable pace!  (Though I think Patrick's "fast" comment is more about being proud of me than about my actual speed...) I'm hoping they'll post it online so I have something to try to improve on next time -- because suddenly I've decided I like running more than I thought I did!

I loved having my little dude out there to watch me run my first race -- a great Mother's Day gift!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Go you! That is great.

    I bet both your fellows were bursting with pride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally figured out my time -- 30:40.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! And happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete