Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Losing Weight in My Hair

I used to be a swimmer (and would like to be again one day), and I have pretty much always hated running, but after I had Seamus I found it difficult to do much swimming, as driving through the city, parking, getting into the gym, getting changed, swimming, and then showering, getting dressed, and getting back home just felt like too much -- and it is pretty rare that I have that much time all in a row to myself, so I wasn't managing to do it all that often.  But, we have a little gym in our building that has some treadmills and elliptical machines and a bike and some weights.  So, after I quit the big gym with the pool, I started going downstairs to that little gym sometimes.  And then, since I was going to a gym that had no pool but that did have treadmills, I decided to try out that Couch-to-5k program, that is supposed to teach non-runners how to be runners.  I am now running 2.5 miles at a time, without stopping, so I guess it is working!  It kind of fools you into getting there, by making you run and then walk in intervals, and by gradually increasing the amount you run and decreasing the amount you walk.  It also makes you run three times a week, which keeps me more honest than just going to the gym "sometimes" -- but all the workouts are only 30 minutes, and I only have to run down the stairs to get to the gym.

I can't quite say that I love running like I love swimming, but I do feel quite virtuous after I run, and I love that feeling.  I thought, though, that this running three times a week would help me lose some weight, but it doesn't seem to be making much difference yet.  Maybe because it just makes me hungrier than I would be if I wasn't running?  

So, since I'm not losing weight in my body, I thought maybe I should lose some weight in my hair.


I felt like my hair had been long for a while, so I let my hairdresser cut quite a bit off the other day.  Shay didn't seem to notice any difference, but Patrick says I look like I got scalped.  I think that he is joking.  So anyway, I don't quite know how to gauge the new 'do, though I kinda like it.  My head feels lighter.

We'll see if my new lighter head helps make the running easier. After one more run at 2.5 miles, I have to do 2.75 for a week, and then 3.  I signed up for a real 5k in May, so wish me luck! I figure if I tell the internets that I'm doing it, it'll keep me from backing out.

Do you run?  Do you love it?  Can you help me learn how to love the part where I am actually running, instead of just the part after I run?  I am thinking that it might start with going to pick out some new shoes, right?

5 comments:

  1. Can't believe I forgot to notice your hair today!! And no, I don't run, and I don't love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks great, and so does your bod. And I do think you should buy new shoes. When I started running, it was very much how you describe (but I used Hal Higdon's 5k novice schedule) and I would say it was when I got up to 3miles that I started to really enjoy the first 1.5 miles of each run. Also, taking a dog really ups the enjoyment factor, so if you wanna run down here someday, Oscar says he's free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Vee! I've been thinking about losing some hair weight too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hair! And I used to love running, too. I have been thinking of taking it up again since it's so cheap and doesn't involve a commute. I think Sara's right - once you get up to a few miles, it starts to be more enjoyable. I liked it for the same reasons I liked swimming, except running is hotter and I could never figure out how to change that. I used to memorize poems and recite them in my head while I ran (the noble me). I also used to fantasize about chewing out people who irritated me (the less noble me). Both of those things were enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I third: it gets easier to love it once you're running longer distances. It also helps once you hit whatever that magic moment is when it's fully become a habit; your body comes to expect it, and not doing it feels unpleasant... so as soon you correct that unpleasantness by starting a run, you're, you know, feeling pleasure.

    Plus, running with someone adds a lot. Once I'm fully recovered from surgery, which shouldn't be much longer, I'm game to join. I'd love a partner.

    ReplyDelete