Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Pea

Worrisome moment #1: I am sitting on the living room floor, changing Maggie's diaper, and I look up to check on Seamus, who is eating a lunch of noodles with peas, corn, and tofu in his highchair.  He says, "Mommy! Pea!" and points to his nose.

Worrisome moment #2: I ask, "Seamus, did you put a pea in your nose?" and he looks at me with a smile in his eye, looks down at his plate of food, and then points to his nose again. "Pea."  Though I'm not quite sure if he actually shoved a pea up there or if he just came up with the idea that it could be done, I start to wonder how I am supposed to go about getting a pea out of a small nose.  I don't think I'd be able to reach it with my hands.  Will it work to ask him to blow his nose into a kleenex?

Moment of relief #1, also known as gross moment #1: Before I have time to try to do anything about the situation, Seamus tells me a joke, cracks himself up, and as he laughs, a glop of snot comes out of his nose, and then a pea.

Gross moment #2: He picks up the pea, and puts it in his mouth.

Moment of realization that I'm just going to have to get used to this kind of stuff, now that I have two kids #1: I briefly consider trying to snatch the snotty pea out of his mouth, but realize that I'm still holding a dirty diaper in my slightly poop-smeared hand, and reconsider going near anyone's mouth.  I go with a half-hearted request: "Please don't put anything in your mouth after it has been in your nose.  And don't put peas in your nose."

And, end scene.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! I love it. It sounds like it all ended just as well as it possibly could have.

    This reminds me of all the stories my dad has from his elementary school principal days. Kids were ALWAYS sticking things in their noses or ears and then winding up in his office. He got good at coaxing things out. One tough case was a bead in an ear. And another time, a little boy hid a frog in his underpants. I'm not sure that was so challenging, or not in the same way.

    You are gonna have to keep an eagle eye on that Seamus!

    ReplyDelete