Thursday, March 1, 2012

Language Lessons

I know from some of the reading I've done on language development and acquisition that when a child mispronounces a word, you should say it back to her correctly in a sentence so that she hears the right sounds and context.  But, sometimes, we find ourselves using the words that Shay mispronounces in the way he pronounces them.  I don't know whether we're reinforcing his notion that a banana is really a "nana," or whether he really thinks he IS saying "banana," and wonders why we're being silly and calling it a "nana."

One of these words is "Bapa."  My parents decided they wanted to be called "Grandma" and "Grandpa," so we referred to them that way until Shay was about 18 months and started calling them "Bapa" and "Bapa."  For a while, we said the names back to him correctly, until he eventually began calling them "Grrrandma" (with a nice French rolling 'r') and "Bapa."  So, we know he can do the 'g' and the 'r' sound together for "Grandma," but he still goes with "Bapa" for his grandpa.  None of us can quite figure out whether my dad is just "Bapa" now, or whether we should still push to correct it into Grandpa.

Another one is "dickle."  One of Shay's first words was more like a repeating sound of "c" and "l", referring to bicycles, tricycles, and motorcycles: "clclclclclclclclclclclclclclc!!!!" he would yell, whenever one drove/rode by.  We would reply, "Yes, a motorcycle! Wow!" and he would respond "clclclclclclclclclclclclc!"  Eventually, he began calling them all "dickle."  One of his most treasured toys is a beat-up little plastic motorcycle toy, and when he can't find it, he'll ask, "dickle?"  I find myself responding, "I don't know where your dickle is.  Where did you see it last?"  Just a moment ago, he cried out in his crib and when I went in to check on him, he whined, mournfully, "dickle" and pointed down in between his crib and the wall.  Toys end up there a lot, and it's a hard spot for me to reach, so I told him Daddy would get it.  I came out of the room and found myself telling Patrick, "you're on dickle rescue duty. It's between the crib and the wall."  Through the baby monitor, I heard Patrick retrieve the toy and give it to Shay, telling him, "You have to be careful with your dickle. Don't throw it out of your crib."  I know we should be working harder to correct this one, before he winds up at school talking about his dickle and I get called into the principal's office.

What do you do, do you correct your kids when they mispronounce words? Or do you adopt their words into a special family lingo?

4 comments:

  1. LOL! Dickle is a great one! We are TERRIBLE about not correcting the child's mispronunciations. In fact, I treasure them and want to hold on to them as long as possible. Amazing my kids can be understood at all! Hank still has "bamana" instead of banana, and a pervasive substitution of /w/ for /r/. Matt has started to correct this one and I shoot him killing glances when he does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still say "gape-its" for grape nuts around here, and "mo may-nay" for more mayonnaise or ketchup. And don't forget one of my favorites: "Cal-you-don-you Park" for Caledonia Park. Love the whole language acquisition thing, but some things you just have to leave alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, that's true, Mom! And, both of you - thanks for reassuring me that I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been talking about this topic here at home lately too. For the most part, we do try to correct his "nana" into "banana" and "cuck!" gets "Yes, that IS a truck!" in response. But with some things, I feel Roger we should not correct him. The one case so far is Bluedog--his strongest attachment toy so far is a very small blue dog we named Bluedog but Roger calls "buku/bookoo." Michael thinks we should always call it Bluedog, but I kind of feel like it's Roger's toy, he can change it's name. So I am trying to remember not to "correct" that one.

    ReplyDelete