Sunday, January 30, 2011

Loss

I just learned yesterday that one of my friends, a member of my book group, passed away unexpectedly on Friday. So far there is no explanation -- she had been feeling sick for a couple of days, and then was found at her home, unresponsive. It is too soon, too fresh, to say anything remarkable about this.  But I felt the urge to write something down, to say that she had such a joyous laugh, and a beautiful smile.  She could get infectiously excited.  She had a fun, sometimes sarcastic, sense of humor.  She taught me new things about food, and books, and writing.

She had just moved a few months ago to Colorado, to be with a boyfriend she had met in the last year.  I could see from her pictures how happy they were together -- blissful, and domestic, with new Christmas stockings and a new dog.  She was a writer; she was working on a book.  Right at this moment I can't decide whether it is wonderful to die at a moment of happiness, contentment -- or whether it is awful to die right at a moment of happiness, contentment.  Both, I guess.  Both, of course it is both.

This should be all about her, this should be memories of her, I should not be thinking of myself and my own life but of course I am.  Of course the loss of a friend, a young friend, makes me think of my own vulnerability.  It makes me wonder whether I am living each day as I should.  It makes me think of my son, of being a mother -- because I am thinking of her mother, and I am crushed; my heart and lungs are completely and utterly crushed flat so that I gasp for a breath, when I think of losing a child.  And that makes me think of my grandmother, who lost her daughter, and my aunt, who lost her daughter.  And I think also of my husband's friend from college, another young friend, who died unexpectedly last year.  And I think of the two women I had known in high school who died in the last year and a half -- one from cancer, the other from complications following lymphoma treatments.  And I think, how can I know this many people my own age who are dying?  Am I at the age now, when people die?  Or have the stars misaligned?

And then I feel sorry for making this about me, about my experience, because even though I am experiencing the loss of my friend, this is about a young woman with a beautiful smile, an infectious excitement, a woman in the midst of making her own happiness, a woman who was a daughter, and a friend, and a lover.

I admired her for many things, but one of them was her bold, courageous decision to write a book.  So today, I am writing this raw little piece of writing and publishing it here without worrying what anyone thinks because "just write! just do it" is one of the things that my friendship with her taught (or re-taught, reminded) me.  And I hope that I will keep remembering to write, and to live every day to the fullest, because the world, though beautiful and wonderful, can be so deeply unfair.

Wherever you are, Erin, I wish you peace.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, honest tribute to your friend. I am so sorry. Like you, the thought of losing a child takes my breath from me. I think it's normal for something like this to make you think of your own life, even in the midst of grieving hers. Bless you--and all Erin's friends and loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh V, I'm so sorry. What a sad mystery.

    Yes, I feel that we're getting to the age where this is happening more around us. And of course being a parent gives you a whole new perspective on life and loss. It's scary, but somehow we have to know all that and still live gratefully. It's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veronica,
    Sudden death is so hard, no matter what your age. I think that at different ages we process the concept of our mortality very differently. You would think that since I have worked in health care my entire career and been with many people and their families at the time of death that I would have been ahead of the curve on this, but I don't think so... It seems very developmentally pre-programmed to me. Children are meant to feel protected by their parents, young adults are meant to feel invincible and parents are meant to feel hyperaware of threats/dangers. I won't bother telling you about what comes in middle age! But we make sense of the world when life follows a pattern of what seems reasonable or fair- an old person passes away after a good life with loved ones nearby, a soldier is shot and killed in combat, a drunk driver runs into a tree... It's so much harder to make sense of situations that seem so random and unfair.

    You did a beautiful job of writing about your feelings and honoring your friend and what she meant to you. I took away a lot from what you wrote and it was very meaningful to me and made me stop and think. Thank you for that. That is what good writers do- they take the universal and make it personal and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to everyone who commented here for making me feel listened to, and for sharing your own thoughts and experiences and responses with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. V, I am so sorry for your loss, and the loss of everyone who loved Erin.

    The concept of loss, of death, hits me much harder, knocks me emotionally flatter, now that Roger is born. Thank you for sharing your blog with me.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete